– INDIA, Bangalore – Biocon Ltd, an emerging global biopharmaceutical enterprise and India’s largest fully-integrated biotech company, has expanded its Board of Directors with the induction of two eminent life sciences experts.
Prof. (Dr.) Vijay K. Kuchroo, Additional Independent Director:
- Samuel L. Wasserstrom Professor of Neurology & Director of Evergrande Center for Immunologic Diseases, Harvard Medical School
- Eminent immunologist with major research interests in Autoimmunity, T-Cell activation and differentiation, Cytokines, Th17, TIM-3, Cancer Immunotherapy
- Holds 25 patents, published 325 original research papers
- First to describe the development of highly pathogenic Th17 cells inducing different autoimmune diseases in humans
Dr. Jeremy M. Levin, Additional Independent Director:
- Chairman, Ovid Therapeutics Inc. that is developing novel medicines for orphan diseases
- Former CEO, Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Engineered the ‘String of Pearls’ M&A strategy as Executive Committee Member of Bristol-Myers Squibb in order to transform company’s pipeline
- Former Head of Global Business Development & Strategic Alliances, Novartis
- Recognized among 25 Most Influential Biopharmaceutical Leaders
Biocon Chairperson and Managing Director Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw said: “I welcome both Jeremy and Vijay to Biocon. Jeremy is an exceptional business leader with a deep understanding of the pharmaceutical and biotech industry. His expertise in leading companies, driving business development and company strategy to bring effective treatments to patients worldwide augurs well for Biocon.”
“As a member of Biocon’s Clinical Advisory Board, Vijay has been providing valuable inputs on the company’s R&D programs in autoimmunity. His scientific expertise in autoimmunity and oncology will help us as we seek to bring our R&D programs to patients globally,” she added.
On his decision to join the Biocon board, Prof. (Dr.) Vijay Kuchroo said: “Biocon is a dynamic biopharmaceutical company with an eye on the future. The company’s research into innovative biologics – unique in India – has the potential to benefit patients in India, and globally. Biocon is conducting interesting research in autoimmune diseases and can play a crucial role in transforming the future of cancer and neurological diseases through its research in immunotherapy. A breakthrough will be particularly beneficial for India, which is seeing an increase in morbidities specifically in cancer.”
Dr. Jeremy Levin said: “I am extremely pleased to join Biocon which has a unique business model spanning biotech and pharma. I strongly believe that as a company focused on innovation Biocon can tremendously benefit patients by developing medicines of the future. Based out of a vibrant democracy like India Biocon is well placed to balance innovation and access to healthcare.”
- Disclaimer - News, data, and statements included in this release are intended exclusively for general information purposes. Talent4Boards does not guarantee that news is accurate or about the correct person and accepts neither liability for the consequences of the reader’s reliance, nor responsibility for the accuracy of the information. Nothing in this release should be considered for decisions about referred securities. Products and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.