– USA, MN – ALLETE, Inc. (NYSE: ALE) today announced that Barbara Nick, recently retired president and CEO of Dairyland Power Cooperative, has joined its board of directors effective July 28, 2020.
“We are fortunate and excited to welcome someone of Barb’s caliber to our board,” said Executive Chairman, Al Hodnik. “Barb’s extensive IOU and cooperative energy industry and strategic planning experience, focus on corporate culture and talent development, and demonstrated ability to partner with a diverse set of stakeholders makes her a natural fit for ALLETE.”
“Barb’s emphasis on values, leadership development and principled governance will be valued additions to the board,” said Lead Director Heidi Jimmerson. “As we guide ALLETE into the future, we look forward to hearing her unique perspectives grounded in her decades of experience in the electric and gas industries.”
Nick joins an experienced ALLETE board committed to best-practice governance and including:
- ALLETE President and CEO Bethany Owen;
- Lead Director Heidi Jimmerson (former EVP, secretary and general counsel at Florida East Coast Railway LLC);
- Kathryn Dindo (retired VP and chief risk officer for FirstEnergy Corp.),
- George Goldfarb (president and CEO of Maurices Incorporated),
- James Hoolihan (retired CEO and chair of the board of Industrial Lubricant Company; owner and president of Can-Jer Industrial Lubricant, Ltd.),
- Madeleine Ludlow (retired VP and CFO Cinergy Corp; founder and chair of the board of West Capital Partners LLC),
- Susan Nestegard (former president of Global Healthcare, Ecolab, Inc.; advisor for True Wealth Ventures),
- Douglas Neve (former EVP and CFO of Ceridian Corp.),
- Robert Powers (retired vice-chair and advisor to the chair and CEO of American Electric Power Company).
About Barbara Nick
Nick’s career in the electric and gas energy industry spans four decades. She has extensive strategic, regulatory and operating experience in five Midwest states through her leadership roles with Integrys Energy and Wisconsin Energy Group, (NYSE: WEC). She most recently served as president and CEO of Dairyland Power Cooperative for the past five-and-a-half years, where she oversaw an energy diversification strategy including wind and solar additions and a proposed electric natural gas generation plant, which is a joint partnership between DPC and a subsidiary of ALLETE. Based in La Crosse, Wisconsin, DPC is a Touchstone Energy Cooperative generation that provides wholesale electrical requirements for 24 distribution cooperatives and 17 municipal utilities in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. Before joining DPC, Nick served as president of Minnesota Energy Resources and president of Michigan Gas Utilities within the Integrys Energy Group from 2012 to 2014. From 1999 to 2012, she held multiple positions with what was then WPS Resources Corporation (NYSE: WPS) and Wisconsin Public Service Corporation, now WEC Energy Group (NYSE: WEC). Positions included five years as senior vice president of energy delivery and customer service and president of the Upper Peninsula Power Company.
As an engaged advocate for communities and public service, Nick has more than 30 years of board service on various profit and nonprofit boards. She is serving a six-year term on the State of Wisconsin Investment Board, which includes oversight of state funds valued at over $100 billion. She also served on the board of directors for the Electric Power Research Institute and was a member of the EPRI Governance and Nominating Committee.
Nick completed Harvard Business School’s Advanced Management Program in 2003 and earned a bachelor’s degree in Communications and Business from UW-Green Bay in 1983. Upon retirement, she and her husband, Jay, moved from La Crosse to Green Bay. They have six grown children.
About ALLETE, Inc.
ALLETE, Inc. is an energy company headquartered in Duluth, Minnesota. In addition to its electric utilities, Minnesota Power and Superior Water, Light and Power of Wisconsin, ALLETE owns ALLETE Clean Energy, based in Duluth; and BNI Energy in Bismarck, North Dakota; and has an 8 percent equity interest in the American Transmission Co.
For more information: https://www.allete.com
- Disclaimer - News, data, and statements included in this release are intended exclusively for general information purposes. Talent4Boards does not guarantee that news is accurate or about the correct person and accepts neither liability for the consequences of the reader’s reliance, nor responsibility for the accuracy of the information. Nothing in this release should be considered for decisions about referred securities. Products and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.