– UK, Bradford – Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc (LSE:MRW) announces the appointment of Rooney Anand, the current Chief Executive Officer of Greene King Plc, as Non-Executive Director and as Senior Independent Director, with effect from 1 January 2016.
Rooney Anand is a highly experienced retail and fmcg executive. Following a career with United Biscuits and then Sara Lee, he joined Greene King Plc in 2001 as Managing Director of its Brewery Company. He was appointed CEO in 2005. Rooney is credited with changing Greene King from a regional brewery and pub business, to a brand-led pub, restaurant and hotel operator. He has recently completed Greene King’s £770 million takeover of the Spirit Pub Group, which will make Greene King the largest managed pub group in the UK.
Andrew Higginson, Chairman, said: “I am delighted to welcome Rooney to the Board. Rooney had the vision at the start of the credit crunch to reinvent Greene King as a branded food based pub retailer. He is a widely admired and successful Plc CEO. His experience in retail, in fmcg and in turning around the fortunes of a major retail business, will all be put to good use at Morrisons. With the recent appointments of Irwin Lee, Belinda Richards, Paula Vennells and Neil Davidson, I am also pleased to say that Rooney’s appointment completes the process of renewing and rebuilding the Board of Morrisons.”
Rooney Anand said: “I am excited about joining the team at Morrisons, a company I have long admired. I look forward to working with Andy and the Board to help to contribute to the Company’s return to the forefront of the British supermarket industry.”
In addition to Rooney Anand, the other recent appointees to the Morrisons Board are:
- Neil Davidson. Neil has had an extensive career in manufacturing, starting with Northern Foods Plc where he rose to become Managing Director of its milk division. He subsequently became CEO of Express Dairies Plc and then Arla Plc, both suppliers to Morrisons. He has also been a non-executive director of Persimmon Plc and Northern Recruitment Group Plc and the Chair of Leicestershire County Cricket Club. He is currently a non-executive director of Produce Investments Plc.
- Irwin Lee. Irwin was, until recently, Vice President and Managing Director, Procter & Gamble Northern Europe with responsibility for the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. He retired in August 2015 after 30 years with P&G.
- Belinda Richards. Belinda worked in professional services for over twenty five years, where she operated as a senior adviser in corporate finance and strategy. She brings extensive experience of challenging and complex restructurings, mergers and turnarounds. Belinda is currently the Senior Independent Director of Grainger PLC, where she also chairs the Audit and Remuneration Committees, and a Non-Executive Director of Aviva UK Life & Pensions. Belinda serves on the Advisory Group of Audit Committee Chairmen at the Financial Reporting Council and is a member of the Governing Council of the Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation, a not for profit think-tank focussed on research in Financial Services.
- Paula Vennells. Paula is currently Chief Executive of the Post Office, a role she has held since April 2012. Paula joined the Post Office in 2007. Previously she was Group Commercial Director of Whitbread Plc having started her career with Unilever and L’Oreal. Paula has also held directorships in sales and marketing with a number of major retailers including Dixons Stores Group and Argos.
- Disclaimer - News, data, and statements included in this release are intended exclusively for general information purposes. Talent4Boards does not guarantee that news is accurate or about the correct person and accepts neither liability for the consequences of the reader’s reliance, nor responsibility for the accuracy of the information. Nothing in this release should be considered for decisions about referred securities. Products and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.