– USA, CA / NETHERLANDS – Cloud9, the world’s leading cloud-based development environment, today publishes research into how developers use cloud-based tools. Data from 1200 developers on Cloud9’s platform shows the majority are committed to working in the cloud, appreciating the higher productivity and improved team dynamics this brings.
Also, Cloud9 announces an investment from Balderton, Europe’s leading VC investor in tech start-ups. Suranga Chandratillake, Partner, joins the Board, in his first investment since joining Balderton in January 2014. Suranga, formerly Autonomy Corporation’s US CTO, founded blinkx, the video and audio search engine, in 2004.
The research shows 64% of developers who switch to a cloud development environment will not switch back to a desktop IDE. Developers cite four main benefits of cloud developer environments:
- Access to the same environment anywhere
- Environment management – full stack environments set up and switched instantly
- Collaboration – real-time collaboration on code and instant preview sharing reduces team friction
- Easy prototyping and learning
Cloud9 CEO Ruben Daniels explains: “Developers become significantly more productive after moving to cloud-based developer environments. Our research confirms once developers move to the cloud, they are very likely to stay developing in the cloud. Cloud development environments have become mainstream.”
Balderton has invested in Cloud9 because it believes, in the future, most software will be developed in the cloud.
Suranga notes: “With this investment I’m joining an incredibly talented and motivated team which is pushing developer technology to the next level. It’s exciting how far Cloud9 has already got building a platform for professional developers – we’re just getting started.”
Cloud9 provides a development environment in the cloud, allowing developers to code immediately and collaborate with peers. With 3 years of cloud IDE development experience and nearly 500,000 registered users, Cloud9’s mission is to unlock the benefits of writing software in the cloud. Founded 2010, based in San Francisco & Amsterdam, Cloud9 IDE is a privately-held company backed by Balderton Capital, Accel and Atlassian. An estimated 3.8M hours have been spent by developers in Cloud9’s environment.
- Disclaimer - News, data, and statements included in this release are intended exclusively for general information purposes. Talent4Boards does not guarantee that news is accurate or about the correct person and accepts neither liability for the consequences of the reader’s reliance, nor responsibility for the accuracy of the information. Nothing in this release should be considered for decisions about referred securities. Products and brand names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.